If you’re like us, your summer schedules are probably packed with picnics, barbecues, pot lucks, and backyard gatherings that aren’t complete without something sweet. What’s our secret to easy, delicious summertime desserts that always feel fresh? Ice cream pies. You won’t believe how easy they are to make, and with an almost unlimited number of ways to customize them, you’ll never make the same one twice. But you will have people asking you what your secret is, and feel free to spill the beans. Here’s how to make the best ice cream pies to sweeten up your summer:
Pick Your Crust
Start with a crust that will give your pie structure and flavor. These are our favorites:
- Pie crust. Press it into a pie pan and bake it until fully cooked. You may need to use wax paper and pie weights or dry rice to help it keep its shape, depending on your recipe.
- Graham cracker crust. Mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and some sugar and press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a pie pan. No need to bake it, just refrigerate for about 30 minutes before you add the filling.
- Chocolate cookie crust. Swap the graham crackers for your favorite chocolate cookies, skip the sugar, and you’ve got a delicious chocolate base.
- Shortbread cookie crust. Shortbread can be time-consuming to make, but use shortbread cookies the same way you would use graham crackers and BOOM, the easiest shortbread cookie crust ever.
- Edible cookie dough crust. Trust us on this one. Buy or make edible, no-bake cookie dough and press it into the bottom and up the sides of your pie pan.
Choose Your Ice Cream Flavor
This might be the toughest step. Choose a Ben & Jerry’s ice cream or Non-Dairy flavor to pair with your crust. Let the ice cream sit out at room temperature for about 10 minutes, and then scoop it onto the crust, smoothing out the top. Usually one tub is enough for one pie, depending on the depth of your pie pan.
Top It!Top it with your favorite fun toppings! Cookies, brownies, nuts, candy pieces, pretzels — get wild!
Freeze And Enjoy!Freeze your ice cream pie until it’s firm, then serve and enjoy!
Our Favorite Combos
Wondering what ice cream pies we like to impress our friends with? We’re glad you asked. These are some of our favorites:
- Graham cracker crust + Chocolate Fudge Brownie + pretzels
- Chocolate cookie crust + Half Baked + chocolate drizzle
- Cookie dough crust + Cookie Dough + Cookie Dough Chunks
- Pie crust + Caramel Chew Chew + caramel sauce
- Graham cracker crust + Strawberry Cheesecake + fresh strawberries
- Shortbread crust + Phish Food + marshmallows
Sweeten Up Your Inbox!
Subscribe now and we'll make sure you get the inside scoop on Ben & Jerry's fun and flavours! It's like dessert for your inbox, and you're going to want seconds.
Thanks for signing up for our newsletter!
There was an error sending your request.
QUIZ: Which Flavor is Your Perfect Fall Companion?
Time to get cozy with a scoop of your favorite fall ice cream flavor! Take the quiz to find your perfect seasonal flavor companion.
RECIPE: Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Slices
A slice of heaven for peanut butter lovers! Whip up this recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Slices and impress your whole crew.