Do you have at least three years’ experience working in campaigning within the NGO, charity or grassroots movement-building space? Have you got a passion for the idea that business can be used to drive positive change in the world? Do issues of social and environmental justice drive you to take action?
Values-led ice cream company Ben & Jerry’s is recruiting an Activism and Impact Manager to lead social and environmental justice campaigns in Australia and New Zealand with our team in Sydney.
About Ben & Jerry’s
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., started in 1978 in a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont, USA, founded by childhood friends and dedicated activists Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. In 2000 Ben & Jerry’s became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Unilever whilst maintaining an independent Board of Directors to provide leadership focused on preserving and expanding Ben & Jerry's social mission, brand integrity, and product quality.
At Ben & Jerry’s we have an inspiring ambition. We aim to pioneer our ‘linked prosperity business model’ to advance the global movement for social and economic justice while growing our business. This translates into a high-paced growth environment where we bring our grassroots and activist spirit into everything we do.
In Australia, Ben & Jerry’s ice cream is known for its big chunks and irreverent tone of voice. Quickly after launching the brand in 2009 the brand has grown its activism presence in the country on issues of social and environmental justice. As part of this growth we are seeking to recruit an Activism & Impact Manager to lead the development and communication of activism campaigns on climate justice in Australia, develop our roadmap for New Zealand and further strengthen and leverage the community impact of our 30+ Scoop Stores.
Role & Responsibilities
The primary role of the Activism Manager is to translate Ben & Jerry’s values into successful externally-focused activist campaigns that demonstrate the company’s global commitment to our social mission goals, and drive action across ANZ to meet these goals.
- Lead in building the strategy of authentic and “living” campaigns in ANZ that tie in with our global Social Mission goals of fighting for climate and social justice under the direction of the Head of Activism for Ben & Jerry’s SEAA and the Country Business Leader for Ben & Jerry’s ANZ.
- Develop the key messages and creative communications of these campaigns inciting Ben & Jerry’s fan-base and extended stakeholder network to take action by using compelling content through our key channels.
- Build up our social mission strategy for New Zealand through scoping potential partners and societal topics or issues and implementing the strategy in the years to come.
- Continue to develop and drive the community and environmental impact of our full scoop stores network in ANZ through working with the internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with a number of key stakeholders (both internal and external) to organise and mobilise to deliver on our Company’s commitment on activism.
- Given Ben & Jerry’s unique position within Unilever, build excellent relationships within both Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s. Having the right energy and attitude to connect both parts of our organisation will be critical for success.
- Play a major role in developing and nurturing NGO and other partnerships that advance public policies that foster a vibrant, just and sustainable economy and society in Australia and New Zealand.
- Initiate innovative ways to help others recognise the central role that business plays in the structure of society and the quality of life at both the national and international levels.
- Create opportunities to work with multiple stakeholders, including: for-profit, non-profit, non-governmental organisations, progressive advocates, civil society organisations, alternative trading organisations, social enterprises, legislators and public officials; educating them in regard to our social mission and intention to make positive changes in our community.
- Connect with the SEAA Activism Team based in Singapore, and the Global Activism Manager based in Vermont, USA, to support the roll out of our global activism strategy in ANZ.
- Support the development of activism content for websites and social media in ANZ.
- Work closely with the digital, social media, PR and marketing teams and agencies to support the delivery of activism campaigns in ANZ, as well as increasing knowledge and understanding of our activism model within the team and agencies in ANZ.
Skills & Experience
Given Ben & Jerry’s unique position within Unilever, the ability to build excellent relationships within both Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s will be essential. We are looking for people who can ultimately leverage the marketing excellence and operational effectiveness that is built by Unilever – while preserving the 3 part mission and community of connectivity within Ben & Jerry’s. Our kind of candidate is/has:
- Three to five years of previous campaign experience and a proven track of campaign strategy development.
- Minimum degree or equivalent practical experiences in Political Science, Sociology, Community Organizing or related fields relevant to this work; Marketing, Communications, or a Business degree a plus.
- A strong knowledge of public policy and the political process in Australia and New Zealand.
- A belief in the power of grass-roots campaigning and commitment to movement-building as a theory of change.
- Experience and understanding of how to use a diverse set of tools and channels, including physical stores, digital and social media, to inspire people to action in support of progressive social change.
- Creative, with strong storytelling and communications skills. Able to simplify and create engaging communications around what are often complication and serious issues.
- Values ethical brands, with experience working directly in or with business a plus.
- Experience working across multi-cultural and diverse communities.
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, communication and diplomacy skills.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills and comfortable talking to the media.
- Experience with representing a brand to press relations/industry/media
- Attention to detail, planning and preparation.
- Ability to influence internal and external partners in order to establish a collaborative stakeholder alignment across a complex globally matrixed organization.
- Will work independently, with limited oversight, while defining the role.
Our people profile
To support our 3-part mission, Ben & Jerry’s also has an outspoken people-mission. We look for people with these characteristics to strengthen our team:
- Purpose-driven: passion and drive to make a real impact through our Social Mission
- Empathy: curious to collaborate with a variety of personalities and styles and to build excellent relationships with internal & external stakeholders – this includes cross-functional relationships and striving for collaborative success
- Mastery: continuously learn, grow and develop to contribute to Ben & Jerry’s
- Autonomy: dare to make choices and take ownership
- Activism: interested in bringing about social or environmental change
Location: Sydney, at Ben & Jerry’s ANZ, Unilever ANZ.
Contract: Full time. We would like the chosen candidate to begin in September 2019.
To apply click here!